The process that resulted in the approval of the $40 million smart meter program avoided “contact” with the citizens of Tallahassee at a number of critical junctures along the path to approval.
A public data request by Tallahassee Reports has verified the following:
- The smart meter committee, organized in 2005 to evaluate the potential use of smart meters, was staffed with only city officials.
- The City Commission voted to move forward with the program on March 28, 2007.
- There were no press releases issued regarding the smart mart meter program until after April 9, 2008.
- There were no utility bill inserts addressing smart meters before April 1, 2008.
- There were no special public forums held to receive public input or to disseminate information about the $40 million program.
- A search of the Tallahassee Democrat indicates that the first reference to smart meters in that newspaper was after the approval of the program by the City Commission.