Posted in: Media Gallery, News Beyond Tallahassee

Posted on January 22, 2017

Despite the Tallahassee Democrat headline, “Tallahassee celebrations muted as Trump era begins” it appears President Donald Trump’s inauguration drew more viewers than eight of the last nine inaugurations, including the 2013 inauguration of President Barack Obama.

The lone exception was the inauguration of President Barack Obama in 2009.

According to the Nielsen ratings firm, approximately 30.6 million viewers of the Trump inauguration surpassed the TV audiences measured for his two most recent Republican predecessors – both inaugurations of George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush.

Trump’s total was also greater than both swearing-ins of Democrat Bill Clinton – 29.7 million and 21.6 million – and the second inauguration of Obama, who drew an average audience of over 20.5 million in 2013.

President Obama’s 2009 inauguration, who became the first African-American president, was watched by approximately 38 million viewers.

Trump ratings

9 Responses to Nielsen Ratings: Trump Inauguration Draws One of the Largest Audiences Since 1981

1. Rusty Shackleford Reply

January 24, 2017 at 7:30 pm

What do TV ratings have to do with Tallahassee’s celebrations? Good try with the non-sequitur though. Unless…

Alternative fact: Despite muted actual celebrations of Trump’s inauguration, the entire population of Tallahassee was glued to their TVs in silent solidarity.

2. adam selvidge Reply

January 25, 2017 at 11:14 am

I know I personally skipped it because the stream of verbal diarrhea from Trump’s orange mouth can’t be trusted.

Also, he’s as hateful as a person can get, and I don’t need that kind of hate in my life!

• MT Reply

January 25, 2017 at 4:49 pm

This sounds hateful to me.

• rsheat Reply

April 24, 2017 at 10:26 pm

By reading your disparaging comment I believe you already have hate in your life.

3. MT Reply

January 25, 2017 at 4:48 pm

I watched and I was moved by his speech.

4. Bill Carlton Reply

January 26, 2017 at 12:56 pm

I think Trumps inauguration was the greatest day in American history since the end of World War II.
    The speech was deeply moving to me as well. It is refreshing that we now have a leader who will put America and her citizens first. Trump is not perfect and has many flaws, but we have a leader who has the experience, knowledge, and capability to lead and compete on a global scale. Dick Morris, a political commentator, feels that Trump has accomplished more in his first six days in office than any president since FDR. I know people on the left will not agree with these statements. Even thought I don’t agree with your thoughts, I respect your opinion, as I would ask that you respect mine.

• Rusty Shackleford Reply

February 7, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Did you mean to say, “Greatest day in American history since the Confederacy seceded?” Because I’d be willing to bet that would be more accurate to your worldview.

5. News_Maven Reply

January 26, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I was cheering and clapping as I listened to it on the radio while working. Especially when he was ripping the Establishment, as many of them were sitting right there behind him.
    And I saw the video the next day when Melania walked out, Bill Clinton ogled her, and HilLIARy turned to bust him on it. That was priceless!

6. Kenny Schultz Reply

February 8, 2017 at 10:45 am

Please stick to local matters, that’s why I joined.