Posted in: Exclusive

Update: Sheriff McNeil to Begin Gillum Email Investigation

Posted on March 9, 2017

Update: Sheriff McNeil to Begin Gillum Email Investigation

Update

Leon County Sheriff McNeil has confirmed with TR’s Karen Murphy that his office will be investigating the Gillum email controversy.

Original Report

One day after State Attorney Jack Campbell told TR reporter Karen Murphy he was waiting for someone with first-hand knowledge of the Tallahassee Mayor’s possible misappropriation of the city software for personal campaign use to request an investigation, an investigation has begun.

TR’s previous story can be read here.

Campbell told TR that he received a complaint yesterday and is checking on the legal constraints before releasing the name of the person who lodged the complaint.

It is not clear if the Florida Department of Law Enforcement or the Leon County Sheriff’s Office will initiate the investigation.

On Tuesday Campbell told TR he “expected to hear from someone with personal knowledge about it so I could assign an investigator and let them start following. Lots of stuff I see and read about in the news that I think probably is not good but I don’t just chase after everything I hear. Everything so far is hearsay. I try not to chase rabbit trails just based on things I’ve heard. I try to base it on facts. I need someone with knowledge to come to me.”

On February 23, Tallahassee Reports broke the story that Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum had allegedly spent approximately $5,000 in city funds to purchase software from democrat campaign vendor, NGP VAN. That software was allegedly used in campaign email for Gillum in which he mixed “Office of the Mayor” letterhead with his campaign correspondence.

11 Responses to Update: Sheriff McNeil to Begin Gillum Email Investigation

1. FedUp Reply

March 9, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Curious to find out if this was the same software that sent a politically themed email from Walt McNeil’s campaign to city email addresses.

2. Charlie Reply

March 9, 2017 at 5:27 pm

You mean since Pittman ran wallys campaign like he did Gillums? And Ann Howard who is Pittman’s wife’s bestie ran wallys pr and worked for Pittman? Nah you reaching brah

3. Joe Shiver Reply

March 9, 2017 at 5:51 pm

What the Hell is going on in this city?

• News_Maven Reply

March 9, 2017 at 7:18 pm

The same unethical shenanigans that have been going on for well over a decade.

Why don’t you send your complaints to the “independent” ethics board…lol?!

Honey, well…

4. Denise Reply

March 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm

It sure doesn’t need to be the sheriff’s office doing the investigation. It needs to be FDLE. Pittman and his friends are tied to too many local politicians.

• Hope Reply

March 10, 2017 at 10:12 am

Agreed!

5. MT Reply

March 9, 2017 at 9:24 pm

My first thought was the Sheriff? But then again, what the heck. Maybe waste management could launch an investigation too.

• Hope Reply

March 10, 2017 at 10:13 am

I am surprised they did not assign it to Gary Yordon.

6. Mr. Curious Reply

March 10, 2017 at 10:50 am

Well, hold on for just a minute. This could be a good litmus test for the new Sheriff, couldn’t it? I’ll be interested to know the findings of the Sheriff’s Office. Remember, if things don’t smell right after their investigation, a request to FDLE still can be made.

At this point, might be good to have FDLE follow up just to make the point of a good investigative process was completed. So, let’s not jump to conclusions on the Sheriff, just yet. Time will definitely tell.

7. Bill Carlton Reply

March 13, 2017 at 7:55 am

NOT GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS! There is no doubt about how that investigation is going to end; it was pre-determined before it ever started.

8. adam selvidge Reply

March 13, 2017 at 11:23 am

Why does anyone care about the accounting details of how software was purchased? I’ve never known a politician of any caliber that was making purchasing decisions themselves, that’s why they have their own teams.