Imagine waking up Monday morning and getting successive email alerts stating an electronic monthly payment has been withdrawn from your account 20 times. Suddenly your modest bank account is at a $6,000 deficit before your first bowl of cereal.
Compounding the issue is your bank is notifying you that you will be charged about $750 in overdraft fees.
This is what happened to many Florida Blue customers this morning.
Thanks Florida Blue for taking out my $650 premium over 76 times making me $50,000 overdrawn, you are the most incompetent, useless company I have ever had the misfortune of having to deal with.
Charged 49 times totaling over $18,000. Unacceptable. And your customer service is terrible! Beyond pissed at you all.
Florida Blue has debited my business account 105 times today, totaling over $45,000!
Florida Blue’s standard response on Facebook has been:
Lisa, we are working diligently to resolve this ASAP. We are so sorry to hear you have been affected, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that a Support Specialist may reach out to you directly.
How many people have been impacted? No answer on that yet, but a company media representative told TR that refunds have begun.
Also on Facebook, Florida Blue issued this statement:
To our members – our apologies for May auto-payment issue
Earlier today we were notified of a payment processing issue that occurred over the weekend that resulted in some members’ accounts being drafted multiple times for their May invoice. We are very sorry for the problems this is causing some of you. We are addressing the situation as quickly as possible.
In the meantime, we are taking the following actions:
· We are identifying all overpayments proactively and refund them promptly. We will ensure that only the appropriate amount is deducted.
· We will reimburse for any bank fees incurred due to overdrafts caused by this issue. We will work on an individual basis with any member who has concerns about adverse impact on his or her credit.
· We have stopped taking electronic fund transfer payments for the time being and have delayed ongoing automatic payments scheduled for this month until we understand the issue and ensure it is corrected.
· Since members currently will not be able to make payments, we will not cancel anyone for nonpayment until this issue is resolved.
· During this time, we will ensure that members who need care are able to get it, even if they are unable to make premium payments as a result of this issue.
Post a comment on this story if you live in the Tallahassee area and have experienced a problem. Let us know if and when the problem was corrected with a refund.