At their next meeting, on July 10th, Tallahassee City Commissioners will be asked to approve the staff’s preliminary scores of ten potential sites for the new Police Department Headquarters.
The number one ranked location is the Northwood Mall property.
The City received a total of 68 unique site proposals from citizens, realtors and property owners. Of those, only 51 sites met the City’s minimum size requirement of nine acres.
In order to establish a short-list of the most viable locations, a set of minimum criteria—as provided by the Spatial Needs Assessment—was used to evaluate all of the proposals received from the public.
The criteria included size (minimum 9 acres), proximity to potential hazards, vehicular and pedestrian/public access, adequacy of infrastructure, and cost of land acquisition.
The rankings are listed below.
Proposed Site & Preliminary Score:
- 1904 North Monroe/514 West Tharpe Street (Northwood) 59
- 1500 Apalachee Parkway (Governors Square) 56.5
- 234 East 7th Avenue (Current TPD Site) 55
- 2813 S. Meridian Street (South City Head Start, Leon County Schools) 55
- 2415 North Monroe Street (Tallahassee Mall) 54.5
- 1625 Apalachee Parkway (Dick’s Sporting Goods/Toys R’ Us) 54.5
- 111 South Magnolia Drive (Winn Dixie/Magnolia Retail Center) 52
- 1317 Winewood Boulevard (DCF Headquarters thru 01/2020) 51.5
- 2525 South Monroe Street (TowneSouth) 50.5
- 1815 Lake Bradford Road (COT Wastewater Treatment Plant) 50