Leon County Report Shows Waste Pro Customer Service Improvements

Leon County Report Shows Waste Pro Customer Service Improvements

The Leon County Commission received a status report at the July 14 meeting on Waste Pro, the waste collection vendor for approximately 27,200 residents of unincorporated Leon County. The status report, provided by staff, addressed improvements to Waste Pro’s service and included data on Waste Pro’s yearly customer complaints and liquidated damages.

According to the report, Waste Pro received 25,138 total customer complaints in 2019 and has received 8,967 so far in 2020.

The County also levies liquidated damages to assess complaints. According to the report, $201,780 in liquidated damages were levied in 2019 and $11,085 to date in 2020.

“The liquidated damages for 2020 have dramatically decreased in comparison to 2019, with a monthly average of approximately $1,600 versus $16,000 respectively,” staff reports. “This change, in large part, is indicative of the enhanced efforts from Waste Pro management.”

According to the report, new efforts from Waste Pro include adding a position for handling yard debris and bulky items. Waste Pro has also added new hose assemblies to hydraulic systems to reduce leaks and established daily mechanical checks.

Additionally, staff reports, “Due to customer concerns about environmental impacts of hydraulic fluid, Waste Pro has shifted to a biodegradable option. Waste Pro addresses most leaks through a chemical treatment which is sprayed from a manual pressure pump. At the direction of the County, the Company maintains an inventory of the chemical to avoid delays in restocking and being able to timely address leaks.”

According to the report, a crew will be available to respond to spills immediately when they occur.

7 Responses to "Leon County Report Shows Waste Pro Customer Service Improvements"

1. Avatar
    KAREN   July 28, 2020 at 10:35 am

They have sprayed the chemical all over the East side roadways. It seems to work but what is the chemical and what does it do to people,pets, and the environment?
    Hopefully it’s not worse than the hydraulic fluid on the roads.

2. Avatar
    Snidely Whiplash   July 28, 2020 at 10:47 am

Someone should notify Waste Pro’s accounting department they can stop the $10,000. automatic monthly payments to Scott and Paige’s company “Governance”.
    Wow there’s another $10,000. Waste Pro can use to improve Customer Service. That is an impressive $120,000. per year!!!
    You are welcome.

3. Avatar
    Hope   July 28, 2020 at 12:51 pm

I have seen a Waste Pro Truck broken-down on Capital Circle and at another end of Capital Circle I saw a tow truck towing another Waste Pro Truck.

I have observed the Waste Pro debris truck drive by debris piles ignoring the debris piles.

I have observed the Waste Pro waste truck pick up big containers with its claw only to release them in the waste truck and driving away leaving the customer without their container.

I have witnessed Waste Pro trying to blame debris piles on tree companies and Talquin.

The County Commissioners did the worst negotiation in the history of negotiations on this Waste Pro contract.

When we learned that Scott Maddox and Gary Yordon were involved in this fiasco the foolishness all made sense.

4. Avatar
    Snidely Whiplash   July 28, 2020 at 1:19 pm

Lets do a little simple math:
    In 2019 – 25138 complaints divided into 27200 customers = a 92.4% complaint rate. 92.4% let that sink in and stew and brew in your brain for a bit.
    OK lets put some simple math on 2020:
    8967 ÷ 27200 = a 33% complaint rate and the year is just 28 days past 1/2 over.
    The headline and the happy words in the above article do not reflect a 92.4% 2019 and a 33% 2020 complaint rate on a per customer average.
    And I hate to be nit picking here: but in my estimate only 0.001% of the 27200 beleaguered and disrespected customers know or even would care if they did know about the hydraulic fluid issue.

5. Avatar
    Thomas C. Hooker   July 28, 2020 at 1:42 pm

I have no problems with my services from Waste Pro. Guess I am lucky.

I still have a problem with the City of Tallahassee after negotiations for a price reduction from Waste Pro that the City kept the savings never passing it on to you. Leon County passed the savings back to residents.

(if you use that handy search tool on the top of this page and provide the term ‘waste pro’, you may be shocked at the value of TR)

Hope   July 28, 2020 at 2:19 pm

The county would like to have you believe they passed the savings on to us, but they did not… what they did is they are “under servicing” the county residents, so I would rather the rates would have stayed the same and get better service than get a slightly lower rate and get the most horrendous service ever.

6. Avatar
    TONY   August 3, 2020 at 1:45 pm

So far, the only complaint I have is that I have to call every time I have Yard Waste or other waste I need picked up since their Trucks stop at my House every Wednesday for Garbage and Recycle and their Yard Waste Trucks drives by my House also every Wednesday but only stops if it is on the list, same for the Saturday Truck. I called the last several times and they came and took my Piles but left my Neighbors Pile, which is just 20 feet away, because he didn’t call.